Thursday 2 May 2013

Ginger citrus marmalade!

I am really enjoying my journey on my ginger quest.  I get all excited whenever I come across a recipe with ginger in it.  So guess how I felt when I came across a recipe for a marmalade with ginger and lime in it!  (that's right.... EXCITED!!)

This recipe came from a book called "Jams and Preserves", by Gina Steer.  It is a lovely book (the tomato chutney I made a while ago came from this book too) and is one my sister gave me for my birthday.  So off I went to the local market on a Saturday morning and came back with fresh limes, ginger and lemons.

Ginger Citrus Marmalade
makes about 1.3kg / 3lb

4 limes (preferably unwaxed), scrubbed
2 large lemons (preferably unwaxed), scrubbed
small piece fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped.
1.2 litres / 2 pints water
2 tsp ground ginger
about 900g / 2lb preserving sugar (see method)  (I couldn't find preserving sugar, so used jam sugar instead.  The type of sugar is quite important, I will explain at the end)
115g / 4oz stem ginger, chopped.  (I presumed this was crystallised ginger, which was all I could find).



Cut off and discard both ends from the limes and lemons and wash thoroughly.  Place in a large saucepan together with the chopped root ginger and the water.  Bring to boil then reduce heat, cover with a tight-fitting lid  and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until the fruits are very soft.

Cool slightly, then drain off liquid and reserve.  Chop the fruits as finely as possible, discarding the pips.


Return the chopped fruits to the rinsed out saucepan, together with the reserved liquid and ground ginger.  Add the sugar, allowing 450g/1 lb sugar for every 600ml / 1 pint of liquid.  Heat gently, stirring frequently, until the sugar has completely dissolved.

Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 15 minutes or until setting point is reached.


Leave to cool for 5 minutes then stir in the stem ginger.


Pour into warm sterilized jars and cover with waxed discs.  When completely cold, cover with cellophane or lids, label and store in a cool place.

(note:  I haven't been able to find waxed discs, so I just pour the marmalade into jars and put the lid on.)   

Sugar: the type of sugar you use is important.  Preserving sugar should be used with fruits that have a high pectin content - the large sugar crystals allow the water to move freely between the crystals on the base of the pan, reducing burning and creating less froth and scum during boiling.  Jam sugar has a balanced amount of natural pectin and citric acid, which helps fruits with a low pectin content to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment